Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute has compiled a list of product case studies, demonstrating innovation in product design and manufacture.
Each product complies with the five core tenets of the Cradle to Cradle Certified Product Standard, a system that recognises and incentivises change so the making of things becomes a positive force for people, the economy and the planet. The five tenets are:
- A product’s beauty, innovation and quality judged by criteria that considers all the impacts that result in the product’s creation, use and disposal
- Every product keeps people and nature safe from hazardous substances
- Every product could be returned safely to industry or nature when it’s finished with
- Every product is made using renewable energy and in ways that protect and replenish water
- All people involved in the manufacturing and assembling of a product are treated fairly
The collection of case studies has been compiled to provide guidance to today’s industries transitioning their products and manufacturing processes to participate profitably in the new industrial revolution.
Among the products featured in the innovation stories collection are beauty products from Aveda, Be Green’s paper plates and food service items made from renewable tree-free fibre and DA.AI which makes eco blankets from PET bottles.
Bridgett Luther, president of the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute said: “The companies and products presented in this collection are redefining traditional notions of quality in ways that meet new expectations of 21st century customers. Each company, product and innovation shares kinship with the evolutions prompted by Michael Braungart and William McDonogh’s challenges to the world.”