Work has started on ways to encourage and increase waste prevention in the business community. The Defra scoping study will look at business waste prevention in preparation for the National Waste Prevention Programme, as required under the Waste Framework Directive, due to be laid before Parliament this month. This project will also input into the Waste Policy Review, expected in May.
The comprehensive mapping exercise will include:
- research and demonstration projects on cleaner production and waste minimisation
- evidence related to waste prevention aspects of sustainable or eco design, of work on sustainable products and materials and work on sustainable consumption
- evidence on business attitudes and behaviours on waste prevention and resource efficiency and what drives behaviour change
- evidence on the use and effectiveness of policy instruments and waste prevention measures
- evidence relating to waste prevention in six sectors, including food & drink and construction & demolition